Madrid the city
|Madrid is plenty of possibilities:||Madrid happens only in Madrid!|
|Art, Culture, Leisure,
Sport, Business and much more!
THE ART AVENUE, THE PREMIER ARTISTIC ITINERARY
Reina Sofia Art Center, cubism, surrealism, vanguard collections from the 40's and 50's, pop-art..., Picasso, Dalí and Miró masterpieces.
A GREEN CITY
Single and multicuisine at the same time, Wide offer of regional and international gastronomy, Best traditional cooking Tapas, a typical delight for everyone
A PARADISE FOR SHOPPING
Traditional and artisan shops (City center)
Antiquities and galleries (Paseo del Prado)
- 58,995 hotel beds
- 3,132,463 friendly people (of which 14.25% are foreigners)
- 144 museums (92 in Madrid city centre and 52 outside Madrid)
- 5,077 restaurants, 1,531 coffees, 2,073 pubs, 18,726 bars, 345 discos
- During 2006 12,384 meetings attending 1,185,521 delegates
- 4 major convention and trade fair centres
- 186 members of the Madrid Convention Bureau
- 166 direct flight destinations
- 293 metro stations covering 283.3 km of underground transport system
- 15,023 taxis
- 7,314,337 tourists per year
- 24 golf courses
- 6 public and 7 private universities
- 6 world heritage sites within 1 hour drive (Toledo, Segovia, Ávila, Alcalá de Henarés, El Escorial and Aranjuez)
- 5,380.86 ha of green space and 281,531 trees (1 for each 14 inhabitans)
- 666 metres altitude
- 2,769 hours of sunshine per year
By courtesy of Madrid Convention Bureau:
HOW TO GET TO MADRIDBy Air: Barajas Airport
Madrid-Barajas Airport it is just 13 km away from the city, and its connections by public transportation are some of the quickest and easiest to use in the world: besides bus or taxi, travelers may take the Metro, where every five minutes a train to/from Madrid-Barajas Airport leaves from Nuevos Ministerios Station in the City Centre at a cost of 2 € while you will pay only 1 € for a ticket within the City!
In 2007, the airport handled 52,143,275 passengers, 483,284 operations and 322,244 tonnes of cargo. Madrid-Barajas International Airport receives flights from over 166 destinations, including several low cost airlines, and is the main European air hub for Latin America. The inauguration of the new terminal that has set its capacity in 70 million passengers a year took place on 5th of February 2006. The building was designed by Richard Rodgers and Lamela and it has received the Stirling Architecture Award.
Bus Line 204 and 200 connect Barajas airport with the bus station Avenida de América.
TRANSPORTATION IN THE CITYMetro Network:
The underground system covers a total of 283.3 km. The price of a single ticket with a validity of 1 hour is 1,50 €, and can be purchased at all Metro stations.
Journeys beginning or ending at the airport, including those within the airport grounds: 5.50 €.
Journeys originating or ending at bus stations, train stations or the Parque Ferial Juan Carlos I (IFEMA) fairs complex: 2.95 €.
TOURIST TRAVEL PASS
The Tourist Travel Pass is the most affordable and practical way to get to know Madrid. It can be used on all public transport in the Region as many times as necessary within the valid dates. There are five passes valid for 1, 2, 3, 5 or 7 days. The Tourist Travel Pass can be purchased at:
- All Metro stations
- Metro Passenger Information Office at Barajas Airport (T1-T2-T3 Metro stations)
- Certain tobacco shops and press kiosks
- Municipal Tourist Office (Plaza Mayor 27)
- Regional Tourist Offices (c/ Duque de Medinaceli 2 and at the Atocha Station
- National and International Tour Operators
- Spanish Travel Agencies and hotels in the city
SOME TOURIST OFFICESCity Hall:
- Duque de Medinaceli Tourist Office, Duque de Medinaceli 2, E-28014 Madrid,
- Puerta de Toledo Market Tourist Office, Ronda de Toledo 1, E-28005 Madrid,
- Atocha Station Tourist Office, Plaza Emperador Carlos V, E-28012 Madrid,
- Chamartin Station Tourist Office, Station Central Lobby (Gate 16), Agustin de Foxa, E-28036 Madrid,
- Barajas Airport (Terminal 1, Arrivals), E-28042 Madrid,
Tel. +34 913 058 656, +34 902 100 007, Fax: +34 913 054 195
- Barajas Airport (Terminal 4, Arrivals, Halls 10 and 11), E-28042 Madrid,
Tel. +34 915 881636, +34 902 100 007